10 Family Advent Traditions
Last week, we posted about the benefits of attending Advent Services! This week, we wanted to give you and your family more ways you can celebrate Advent together. Remember, it’s Advent’s job to prepare our hearts for the coming of Jesus!
We hope this list provides you and your children ways to reflect of John 3:16. 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Advent Worship Services (Advent and Your Kids!)
- Decorating Your Church
- Another great way for you and your brothers and sisters in Christ to gather together, while beautifying your church! Prepare your church for the Advent season, and prepare your heart for the coming of Jesus!
- Decorating Your Home
- As a family, set time aside to decorate your home! A great time to introduce a nativity set to little ones, and explain the roles of each person there.
- Christmas Music
- Some of the most moving musical compositions can be found in Christmas music, delivering a message about our Savior and his grace. If you haven’t, check out Bread for Beggars “Musical Advent Calendar“, I strongly encourage it! Each night, as a family, we sit down and listen to the daily song; it moves and prepares us for Jesus miraculous birth.
- Advent Calendar
- This is a great way for little ones to understand just how far away Christmas really is, and how long they’ll have to wait until baby Jesus is born!
- Home Advent Wreath
- Creating a similar Advent Wreath to the one found at the front of your church is easier than you think. Many creative ideas can be found on our Pinterest Board “Advent Adventures“.
- Christmas Caroling at Nursing Home
- Bring out that family hymnal, and the Christmas hymns we know so well! Get a couple families together and go prepare YOUR hearts, and the hearts of others for Jesus to be born!
- Christmas Cards to Shut-Ins
- Every year, buy an extra box of Christmas cards. As a family, pick your favorite bible passage (or multiple!) and write a glorious message of the coming of Christ! Your church shut ins will feel so special that you are helping prepare them, as well as yourself.
- Prophesy Devotions
- Live Nativity
- See AND hear the story of Christ’s birth to get your heart and mind in the proper Advent spirit! If you and your family are in the Fond du Lac area, check out Faith Lutheran Church Christmas for Kids!
We hope you and your family enjoy this Advent season. The birth of Jesus is a miraculous time of year, and should fill your spirit with the knowledge that God loved you SO much, he sent his Son, Jesus. Jesus loved you SO much he choose to be born, in a lowly stable, to an ordinary family, to save us.