10 Ways to Promote THANKS on Thanksgiving!
As a child I loved Thanksgiving. The smell of delicious food, family coming together, and PIE! Oh, the pumpkin, pecan, and apple pie! As an adult I still love all of these things (especially the pie!), but I want to pass these joys onto my daughter, I want her to realize the most important part of Thanksgiving; I want her to keep a thankful heart for Thanksgiving.
James 1: 17-18 reads “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of first fruits of all he created.“
EVERY good and perfect gift is from above–our Faith, children, house, talents, and earthly possessions are all gifts are from our Creator! Doesn’t that make you smile? God sent his one and only Son, to live a perfect life, and sacrifice himself for the sins of the world–that perfect gift should OVERWHELM our hearts and minds with thankfulness.
As we celebrate the holiday of Thanksgiving, may that message encourage you and your family to reflect on God’s selfless act of giving us His Son to redeem the world. In hopes that this message sparks the true reason for having a thankful heart on Thanksgiving, let the saving truth encourage you to act out your faith.
Here are 10 ideas to start you off:
- Attending Church
- Spending an hour with your brothers and sisters in Christ, hearing Christ’s saving work rejuvenates the spirit, bringing about TRUE THANKFULNESS on Thanksgiving.
- Using Christ as your guide, uplift and encourage your shut-in members on Thanksgiving by bringing them to church, or inviting them to celebrate with your family! Keep your heart thankful, as you share your good and perfect gifts with others.
- Volunteer Opportunities
- One of God’s good and perfect gifts to each of us is your abilities. Sharing your time with others is a great way to recognize and appreciate the abilities God has given us.
- Burnt Apple Pie Challenge
- Using the same concept “giving because He first gave to us”, The Burnt Apple Pie Challenge aims to make Thanksgiving extra radical, by doing a selfless act of giving to your neighborhood firehouse.
- A Family Gratitude Journal
- A place of reflection to note all of God’s good and perfect gifts in each of your lives.
- Thanksgiving preparation, serving, and/or clean up help
- Gratitude Rolls
- Just as you tell Christ how grateful you are for his saving salvation, tell each of your Thanksgiving guest what makes them a blessing in your life!
- Give Thanks Jar
- Reflecting on Christ’s gifts, take some time to write a note about something you are thankful for. Take turns reading each note.
- The Thankful Tree Centerpiece
- Thankful Handprints
Whatever Thanksgiving traditions you have, reminding your family of God’s most precious blessings is the perfect way to ensure a thankful heart for Thanksgiving.